VIDEO: 'Pay up for loss and damage!' African activists led by Vanessa Nakate demonstrate at COP27
Updated: Nov 27, 2022
Vanessa Nakate with team demonstration
STORY NAME: YOUTH-LED DEMONSTRATION DEMANDING FOR LOSS AND DAMAGE FINANCE AT COP 27
LOCATION: SHARM EL SHEIKH, EGYPT
DATE SHOT: 10/11/22
SOUND: NATURAL SOUND WITH ENGLISH SPEECH
SOURCE: BIRD STORY AGENCY
ASPECT RATIO: 16.9
ORIGINAL FRAME RATE: 24 fps (progressive).
INTRO: Young climate activists leading peaceful demonstrations demanding loss and damage financing
1. VARIOUS OF VANESSA NAKATE, CLIMATE ACTIVIST LEADING OTHER ACTIVISTS IN PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION
2. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): VANESSA NAKATE, UGANDAN CLIMATE ACTIVIST, SAYING:
“Gas is a destruction for Africa, Gas is a destruction for our planet. What the Africa Continent needs is investments in renewable energy because many times the profits from fossil fuels investments end up in the pockets of already rich people in the global north”.
3. VANESSA NAKATE AND OTHER ACTIVISTS DEMONSTRATING
4. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): ISAAC SSENTUMBWE, UGANDAN CLIMATE ACTIVIST, SAYING:
“We must understand that these two things are different. The climate finance and the loss and damage facility. This are facilities that should be provided in different streams. And it should be mobilized in a way where there is a plan.
5. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): VANESSA NAKATE, UGANDAN CLIMATE ACTIVIST, SAYING:
“We do have the resources, what we don’t have is political will. Once we have the political will for investment in renewable energy for protecting our people and planet, we will realize that we already have the resources, we already have the finances available in the world and we already have the experts needed in this transition”.
6. VISITORS AND DELEGATES WALKING ALONG THE STREETS OF SHARM EL SHEIKH